New year, new teams, our champions strike again: Girls Tennis

Jeren Wei, Staff Writer

Girls Varsity Tennis continues its in-league undefeated record into the 2017 season with a win over hilltop rival Fieldston after winning the Ivy League Championship last season. The team plans to defend its title and is confident in its abilities, JJ Ryu (10) said.

“We were playing a team that we’ve played many times before, so I felt prepared. We strategized before the match, and I was really excited for our new team members to get a chance to play in our first league match,” Rachel Okin (12) said. 

The first victory brought the team closer together, Okin said. “I can already tell that we’re bonding so much just within the first two weeks of school,” she said.

Girls Varsity Tennis Head Coach Rawlins Troop is confident in the team’s skill and athleticism despite losing strong senior players this past year. “We did lose a couple of great players, but there are two new freshman on the team who are very strong,” he said.

Despite its confidence, the team must perform consistently and not let its guard down during matches, Troop said.

“[It] feels good to be returning Ivy champions. Everyone supports each other when we see good results it makes us all stronger as a team.” Gibby Thomas (11) said.

As the team starts the season with a victory, it feels motivated and confident for the upcoming season. “Winning is the goal and a huge source of motivation. We never lose the motivation to win because that’s what we came to do,” Hannah Long (11) said. “Winning has been one of the largest motivations. They like being undefeated and they want to stay that way,” said Troop.

Despite its determination for success, the team agrees that their primary source of motivation is each other. “We all love each other and don’t want to let each other or coach Troop down,” Thomas said. “We all have our team in mind when we go out there on the court and kick butt,” she said.