Girls Cross Country

Connor Morris, Staff Writer

This season a young Girls Cross Country team has grown under a few veteran leaders. The Lions had many new recruits this year, but a few star upperclassmen, namely co-Captains Aurora Grutman (12) and Freya Lindvall (12), continue to be the top runners and lead the team by example, Coach Drew Samuels said.

Head Coach Meredith Cullen is assisted by new addition Drew Samuels. The coaching changes have helped motivate the team to work hard and individually improve, Alexis Bolner (12) said.

So far, the Lions have participated in two Ivy League Developmental races and two larger invitational races, which included teams from all five boroughs and Westchester.

It is difficult to measure team performance because the goal of each race differs for each team and each runner, Samuels said.

“I think we’ve run well. I’ve seen progression to faster times for most of our runners so we’re about where I want us to be for this point in this season,” Samuels said.

In particular, Samuels pointed out strong performances from the three top seniors. Lindvall has been running well, Grutman, “has progressed a lot and is very consistent during races,” and Bolner “overcame early shin splints and injuries and is now running really well,” Samuels said. Additionally, he said Dora Woodruff (10) has been performing well this season and said Rebecca Siegel (11) has, “been very dedicated and works extremely hard in practice and is running now as well as she’s ever run.”

In addition to the strong seniors, the underclassmen runners are “a lot more promising than in previous years,” and are the core of the team, Lindvall said.

“We have a strong group of freshman who contribute great personality and athleticism to our team. They also show a lot of potential as runners,” Bolner said.