School hosts three debate-based events in October

Lynne Sipprelle, Staff Writer

Last month, Model UN (MUN), Debate, and Parliamentary Debate all held events at school, beginning a new year of debate, politics, and teamwork.

At the 32nd Horace Mann MUN Conference many sophomores won Outstanding Delegate and Honorable Mention, while at Debate’s third Horace Mann Public Forum Invitational Nina Mussa (9) and So a Jang (9) won the novice division and Sasha Snyder (9),Leyli Granmayeh (9), Walker McCarthy (9), and Teddy Ganea (9) placed in the top ve.

At the rst ever Horace Mann Introductory Parliamentary Debate Tournament (HMIPDT), Eli Bacon (9) came in 4th and Julia Robbins (10) came in 11th for speaker awards while Sophia Zelizer (10) and Grace Ermias (10) won 5th and Bacon and Paul Wang (10) won 12th in team awards.

e conferences required the clubs to begin to plan far in advance.

Model UN started planning in June once Secretary Generals were announced, co-Secretary General Valerie Maier (12) said.

Over 1,000 delegates came to the conference from 45 di erent schools, Model UN co-Secretary General Evan Megibow (12) said.

Debate held their tournament on Saturday, Oct. 21. Debate’s last tournament was in 2015, Horace Mann Debate co-President Honor McCarthy (12) said.

“It was a good learning experience for all of us, and we made sure to include juniors and sophomores in logistical planning so they can hit the ground running in future years,” McCarthy said. e team began planning in Oct. 2016, when they had to book the date for the tournament, Horace Mann Debate co-President Ella Feiner (12) said.

About 120 debaters and 44 judges attended the tournament, while 28 teams from the school competed, Raab said.

Although the Oct. 6 Parlimentary Debate event was part of the New York Parliamentary Debate League (NYPDL), it was run by school students, Parliamentary Debate Vice President William Golub (11) said.

92 debaters, including 36 from the school, as well as 38 judges came to the conference, which was geared towards new debaters, Golub said.

Parliamentary debate is a much younger club than Model UN or Debate and was created during the 2015-2016 school year.

e planning process for the conference included recruiting debaters and judges from schools in the tristate areas, deciding on topics, and preparing the team’s novice debaters for the event, Golub said.

Both HoMMUNC and the Debate HM Invitational were full-day conferences, while the HMIPDT ran from four to ten Friday evening.

HoMMUNC started with opening ceremonies, where Elizabeth Marks, the Director of Community Engagement at the charity USA for UNHCR (United Nations High Commissioner Relief ), spoke about the Syrian refugee crisis and what high school students can do to help, Model UN co-Secretary General Jenna Freidus said.

“We raised over $1,000 for that charity during the day in all our committees, which was really exciting,” Megibow said.

“ ere was de nitely friendly competition between committees to see how much money each could raise, which made the kids really excited and interested in the charity and helping,” Maier said. “We had delegates sing or dance to raise money and would give updates to the committees about how much was raised to keep them motivated.”

A er the first three rounds at the HM Invitational, teams were “power matched” against teams with similar records for the fourth round, Mussa said. A er this round, there were generally only two teams le with the same record, and they competed in the final round, she said.

Parliamentary Debate and Debate can only hold events on campus every other year, unlike Model UN, which holds HoMMUNC every year.

Freidus said that many schools have been coming to HoMMUNC every year for over a decade and use it as a training conference for their students.

Parliamentary Debate would not have been allowed to hold a conference this year, co-President of Parliamentary Debate Evan Frommer said. “We emailed them and said we really need this tournament because we’re building a league and trying to grow,” Frommer said.

The school compromised with Parliamentary Debate by allowing them to hold the tournament Friday night instead of Saturday, Frommer said.

The e school waived the debate tournament’s fees for schools that could not  afford to participate otherwise, McCarthy said. e school also waived some school’s conference fees for HoMMUNC and provided free transportation for some schools attending HoMMUNC as well, which at around $35 per delegate was the most expensive event.

Debate and Parliamentary Debate only cost $10 per person and were free for school students, McCarthy and Golub said. “One of our main goals for this year is making debate accessible to everyone regardless of nances,” McCarthy said.

Parliamentary Debate purposely kept the price low as well but had to charge $10 per participant in order to pay for food and awards, Golub said.