Spotlight on Junior Varsity sports: Boys Soccer

Nelson Gaillard, Contributing Writer

Having tied their most recent game this past Wednesday, the Boys JV Soccer team hopes to push forward and win more games. With a record of 3-3-3, the team is well on its way to a positive outcome at the end of the season, Noah Fawer (10) said.

Losing two out of the team’s first three games of the season–1-7 against Fieldston and 1-5 against Collegiate–came as a bit of a shock to player Craig Murray (11).

Murray believes that the losses at the beginning of the season were due to a lack of communication on the field “giving our opponents multiple opportunities to score on us,” he said. 

With more practice and drills focusing on communication among the defensive players, the team stepped up their game, winning their most recent two games against Trinity and Fieldston. “We became much more organized, and this allowed us to become much more of a threat offensively,” Murray said.

The attackers have gained more confidence and have been taking more shots on goal, adding to the team’s previous two victories, Jake Federman (9) said.

“I think we’ve improved a lot so far this year,” returning player Noah Phillips (10) said. “Our freshman goalie, Jake Federman, has started to play really well, and we’ve generally seen improvement on the defense.”

In every game, the team is always on their feet and cheering from the sidelines, Fawer said. With the momentum that the team has been building, Fawer believes that the team should definitely be able to win today’s game against Hackley and future games, he said.