Spotlight on Junior Varsity sports: Girls Volleyball

Mark Fernandez, Contributing Writer

The Girls JV Volleyball team is in the middle of a winning streak. Lead by head coach Michelle Amilicia and assistant coach Neven Skoblar, the team is currently 6-2, with its most recent win being against Poly Prep 2-1.

Amilicia has seen that the team is very dedicated. When Amilicia arrives to practice, the Lions often have already started peppering and warming up. “They are easy to coach. They listen well,” Amilicia said.

Daisy Wheeler (10) believes that the freshman have learned quickly and have earned a sense of responsibility, she said.

Rosy Arora (9), a new student to the school, believes that she has fully adjusted to the expectations of a high school team.

The team seems to genuinely care about how their teammates do and how they can win as a team. “Because they want to get better, everyone tries to give pointers and motivate each other to do their best in practice. If someone makes a mistake, they pick each other up,” Amilicia said.

“Even if we are down by a lot, teamwork never goes down” Arora said.

When asked what was a memorable moment during the season, Wheeler cited “beating Fieldston by one point at home.” Wheeler believes that this was a huge match for the team as it helped to cement their position near the top of the division, she said.

Working hard and earning your spot is a major point in Amilicia’s coaching philosophy, she said. “You play in games the same way you play in practice,” she said. Consequently, Amilicia treats her players like she would treat varsity-level players, so once they play varsity the transition will be seamless.