Students and teachers explore identity at diversity conference

BETWEEN ANAHEIM AND SDLC:
(Left to right) Kaileen Germain (12),
Eunice Bae (11), Alena Underwood
(10), Jack Eagan (11), Jessica Thomas
(10), and Alba Bryant (11) take photo
at SDLC in Anaheim, California.

BETWEEN ANAHEIM AND SDLC: (Left to right) Kaileen Germain (12), Eunice Bae (11), Alena Underwood (10), Jack Eagan (11), Jessica Thomas (10), and Alba Bryant (11) take photo at SDLC in Anaheim, California.

Amelia Feiner

Six students discussed issues of race and diversity and listened to Ta-Nehisi Coates and Kimberle Crenshaw speak at the Student Diversity Leadership Conference (SDLC) while 18 teachers across the divisions served as chaperones for SDLC and attended the concurrent People of Color Conference.

Both conferences took place concurrently in Anaheim, California from November 30 to December 2.

Throughout the conference, attendees such as Alena Underwood (10) and Jessica Thomas (10) discussed their identities within the context of their experiences in and out of their independent educations and bonded with one another in small groups.

The groups talked about the eight identifiers: ability, age, ethnicity, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, and socio-economic status, Underwood said.

Unfortunately, a lot of issues involving students are color go unnoticed, Kaileen Germain (12), an attendee of the conference, said. “Issues that are important to me or important to any black student are overlooked. We end up invalidating the students who are affected by any type of problem,” she said.

After the conference, Germain, Thomas and Underwood all hope to bring some of what they learned back to the school’s community. Coates told the audience that “school is not life,” and Germain believes that this is an important idea for her to bring back to the school where it is so easy to get caught up in work, she said.

Several students said that the conference was a life changing experience.

“I want to recreate the environment that so many students felt so comfortable to share their ideas in,” Thomas said. “The way I see everything is different,” she said.