News In Brief: Model Congress and Model United Nations

Jeren Wei

Model Congress

After working up to 20 hours a day at their first away conference in Rutgers University, the school’s Model UN (MUN) team won best large delegation and several individual committee victories as well.
The conference, held last weekend, was comprised of more than 1500 students from across the US, Radhika Mehta (12) said.

Since the conference was the first of the year, the team had focused on helping the underclassmen acclimate to the format of Model UN, Mehta said.

Despite the team’s victory, the group agrees that one of the most challenging parts of the conference was maintaining their energy and focusing consistently throughout the four days of the conference, co-Secretary General of MUN Jenna Freidus (12) said.

“Each day of the conference we would be working from 9 am to 11:30 pm.” Shant Amerkanian (11) said.
Jamie Berg (11) found the conference both challenging and rewarding, he said. “ [I learned it is important to maintain] your stamina and keep pushing forward even when you’re exhausted. 20 hours of debate each day takes a great deal of mental fortitude to succeed in that environment.”

Unlike most conferences, committees were assigned two topics instead of one, which allowed students to focus on resolution writing, said Freidus.

“Evan Megibow, Valerie Maier, and I were happy with the performance of the team and we are excited to start off a great year,” said Freidus.

Model Congress

The school’s Model Congress team won various individual awards at their first conference of the year at Yale.

“The conference was the biggest Model Congress Conference Yale had ever hosted, and the hosts expanded the conference by around 200 delegates,” Arianna Laufer (12) said.

“Achievement wise we did not win the conference, but everyone did perform exceptionally well and we had a lot of people attending their first conference win awards at the conference, and it was overall an incredible experience,” Arul Kapoor (11) said. Preparing a bill regarding carbon tax, Kapoor earned the best delegate award at the tournament, he said.

“Everyone was engaged and it is good that people had conversations outside of the rooms and not going through the motions of debate,” Ruthie Yankwitt (12) said. “The team focused on learning and having interesting conversations about debates.”

The freshmen that had attended the tournament performed well and set a strong introduction for the year. “We had a very strong group and the underclassmen did exceptionally well. Many freshman performed at a high level and it was incredible to be able to see them speak eloquently on intricate topics,” Kapoor said.

Laufer believes the team has learned from the experience. “The one thing that the team learned is that when we are winning we are winning together and when we lose together we take the sentiment of the team because it is about the team as a larger entity as opposed to the individual person,” she said.

“It may have been disheartening not to win, but we will use this conference to make us stronger, and we will work very hard to win our the next conference,” said Laufer.