Student-Written One-Act Festival preview

Katie Goldenberg

From February 8 -10, the Horace Mann Theater Company (HMTC) will debut four scripts envisioned by the school’s young playwrights at the Student-Written One-Act Festival, directed by Theatre Arts teacher Alexis Dahl.

The festival celebrates creations written by the school’s playwriting and production classes. In addition to three individual student works, “Hareway to Kevin,” a ten-minute play written collectively by the playwriting class of 2016-2017 will also debut, Dahl said.

The piece was created by last year’s playwriting class, as a collaborative piece was part of the curriculum, Dahl said.

“I simply loved the humor and idiosyncratic characters, and that’s why I wanted to produce it,” Dahl said.

The festival will “be a good way for people to explore places they’ve never been before and see into the mind of a writer,” Amrita Acharya (12), one of the playwrights, said.

Acharya’s play “A Girl with Kaleidoscope Eyes” follows a friendship between two adolescent girls in the U.S. during the Vietnam War, Acharya said.

“For me it’s easier to relate because I know the playwrights, so having that intimate knowledge of who these people are and to see they created something so big is really inspiring,” HMTC co-President Ben Rosenbaum (11), who will perform in two of the productions, said.

“These are student-written, and they still cover remarkably sophisticated subjects,” Rosenbaum said. “I hope people see that no matter what age you are you can always be creating art.”
Because the One Acts are smaller student productions, actors only rehearse with their cast once a week for about an hour and a half each, Rosenbaum said.

The shorter rehearsals heighten the responsibilities of actors, who work on scripts at home and often meet outside of the rehearsal environment, he said.