MD students participate in first MUN conference

MUN-CHKINS: Middle Division students in committee during HoMMUNC Jr.

Gabby Kepnes

Middle Division Model United Nations (MUN) just hheldad their largest conference, HoMMUNC Jr., where Upper Division students hosted and organized a conference for middle schools in the area.
UD MUN team members try to grow the MD program by getting more kids involved.

“When making positions, we try to pair more experienced delegates with less experienced students to ensure the continuation of the program,” Julia Hornstein (11), one of the MD coordinators, said. “It also benefits the older kids in UD MUN from getting to teach the younger MD kids and getting them the skills to become involved.”

The MD program is led by high schoolers, specifically Hornstein and Shant Amerkanian (11), who visit their atrium meetings and make announcements about joining the team, MD MUN faculty advisor Eva Abbamonte said.
“As a member of MUN I have the ability to discuss problems that are facing the world today with people who share my interests,” Walker McCarthy (8) said. “Whether it be solving the conflict in the South China Sea or expanding access to healthcare in war zones.”

Valerie Maier (12) and Jenna Freidus (12), two of the Secretary Generals (SGs) on the UD MUN team, said that the UD team benefits from having kids who were previously on MD MUN join the team.
“For the kids, it helps them feel more confident walking into the high school team as well as gives them the advantage of already knowing how MUN works,” Maier said.

“Before my first conference I was daunted by the task of finding my country’s position on a certain issue and how to present that in committee, but the SG’s at the time were very helpful both during and after meetings.” McCarthy said.

UD leaders also help teach other new kids how the team works, Freidus said.

MD MUN hosted HoMMUNC Jr. for the fifth time this year as a way to introduce middle schoolers to the functions of a conference.

“Its purpose is to give middle schoolers an experience of Model UN apart from the upper schoolers,” Abbamonte said. During the conference, they go over parliamentary procedure and how to write a resolution, Abbamonte said.
For McCarthy, the most difficult part about Model UN is the very beginning of conference preparation. “Often times country assignments don’t come out until three or four days before the conference so I have had to learn how to quickly find the best sources for my research,” he said.

According to Hornstein, most students are challenged by their first conference experience, but afterwards, they adjust to and become more comfortable with the MUN format.