Music Week Preview

Becca Siegel

From being serenaded by a violin before a test to the ingenious Strokes covers of the 12th-grade band, “I’m lactose intolerant but I still enjoy ice cream,” music plays an integral part of life at the school. In the upcoming week, music teachers Doug Epstein and Dr. Amir Khosrowpour plan to demonstrate the student body’s love for the art with an event dedicated entirely to it: Music Week.
Music Week will encompass a variety of performances, ranging from the traditional Japanese koto, a guitar-like instrument, to the school’s Sinfonietta performance on Friday.

This year promises to be one of the most exciting, action-packed music weeks that the school has ever hosted. Every period is filled with performers such as Kenny Ascher, writer of “The Rainbow Connection,” Grammy-Nominated countertenor Ryland Angel, and an NYU Acapella group led by Sebastian Brunner-Stolovitzky ‘15, and other exciting guests, Epstein said.
Students and faculty alike will be surrounded by music on all sides and will have no choice but to listen to beautiful pieces being generated, Epstein said.

Started by former student Clarell Antwon in his senior year of high school, the event originally consisted of a sporadic collection of student performances. After Antwon graduated, other students tried to keep Music Week going but were unsuccessful. During college, Antwon took his own life and in memory of the event that he created, his parents asked the school to continue Music Week.
Since its inception, Music Week has allowed students to experience and appreciate new forms of the art, Khosrowpour said. During the event, Khosrowpour often becomes blown away by live ensembles that he did not know before, he said.

For Craig Murray (11), playing and listening to music is a transportive experience, and Music Week allows talented students and faculty share this sentiment, he said.
Mieu Imai (11), a violinist for 13 years and a member of Sinfonietta, loves the acknowledgement of other types of music that the week brings, she said. Without last year’s koto performance, Imai never would have discovered this aspect of her Japanese heritage, she said.

This year, Sinfonietta and professional musicians of the Brass and Woodwind ensembles will play an intensely complicated piece by Terry Riley known as “In C.” The piece is written for an indefinite number of performers and strings together 53 musical phrases that each musician may repeat as many times as they want in an articulation of their choosing.
“The changing texture of this piece of music creates a string, brass, and woodwind wall of gorgeous sound that is entirely unique, and I strongly encourage everyone to come and see it performed,” Epstein said.

“During this music week, I hope that students will have a realization of the breadth of music, and see what it can do, and what role it plays,” he said.
Students can kick off the week on Monday with an all-day karaoke in the Fisher Rotunda.