Spring MD/UD Concert provides space for music and reflection

Amiya Mehrotra, Staff Writer

The stage flooded with light, and the spotlight shined on music teacher Michael Bomwell, conductor of the various ensembles that performed in the Spring Band Concert this past Tuesday in Gross Theatre.

This concert included groups from both the Middle (MD) and Upper Division (UD). Bomwell believes this configuration enables MD students see where their future musical careers lie in high school and allows UD students reflect on how far they have come.

Clarinet player Jivan Khakee (12) still remembers his eighth-grade performance in the MD/UD concert. “Seeing the high school Wind Ensemble perform, well, it was kind of intimidating but also inspiring,” he said.

To iron out specific rhythms and passages within their own instrumental groups, the groups participated in sectionals for several classes, piccolo player Cindy Kaiser (11) said.

According to flute player Rhys Shepherd (9), he also practiced his part by running through it in his weekly private lessons, he said.

In previous years, Bomwell usually selected pieces that were contemporary and adventurous, Bomwell said. For this year, however, he chose a more conventional band piece for the Wind Ensemble: Suite in E flat by Holst. It is one suite with three different movements and is something that they will most likely play in the future if they continue playing in a band, he said.

Khakee believes that because this year’s selected repertoire was three movements that are meant to be played together, band members worries less about the flow of the pieces and instead focused more on specific details, such as challenging rhythms and dynamics, he said.

The various ensembles ran into some challenges when finding time to rehearse their parts individually, flute player Diane Kiam (8) said. “The rhythms were more complicated this time around, so putting the pieces together was a big effort,” Kim said.

Similarly with the UD ensembles, one of the most significant challenges was finding enough rehearsal time between days off and holidays, and being able to hear everyone and assess where players were to help them get to where they needed to be, Kaiser said.