Humans of HM – Dr. Jillian Davidson

Humans of HM – Dr. Jillian Davidson

Jillian Davidson

Jillian Davidson

Jillian Davidson

Ben Wang, Staff Writer

Most students know Middle School Latin Teacher Dr. Jillian Davidson for her entertaining classes, but few know she is also a renowned World War I scholar. Over the past summer, she attended two conferences in Australia to provide new details of the Jewish experience during World War I.

During her undergraduate years, Davidson realized that there was no established connection between World War I and Jewish history, she said. She wondered “whether there was a Jewish Literature equivalent to the great British World War I poets and authors.”

Since the 100th year anniversary of the War, Davidson has participated in countless events. “I have been attending and presenting at conferences in England, Austria, Israel, here in the United States and, this summer, in Australia,” Davidson said.

Davidson also writes about centennial events for Centenary News, an online international coverage of the centenary of World War I, she said.

The two conferences she attended this past summer were held in Australia, one in Melbourne, and the other in Newcastle. “At both conferences, I tried to present aspects of the Jewish story,” Davidson said. “There was an incredible intermingling of languages, cultures and ideas even amidst such tragedy,” she said.

Specifically, she focused on “how Jews recorded and archived the war experience” and how Jews fighting in armies worldwide “responded to conflicting issues of patriotic, religious, and political” loyalties.

“It was striking how so many of the values discussed at the conference were aligned with the values of Horace Mann: global collaboration, identities, diversity, equality and emotional learning,” Davidson said.