Drawing and painting classes explore galleries in Downtown Manhattan

Oliver Steinman, Contributing Writer

On September 28, Visual Arts Teacher Kim Do’s AP Studio and Honors Drawing and Painting 4 and 5 classes will visit several art galleries in downtown Manhattan. The trip will focus on what Do calls “perceptual” and “scientific” art, which connects to the work his students are creating in class, he said.

The students will attend Jim Weidle’s exhibit, Paint Happens at the Blue Mountain Gallery in Chelsea, Red Grooms’ Ruckus Manhattan at the Marlborough Gallery in Chelsea, Kyle Staver’s exhibit at the Zurcher gallery in Greenwich Village, and Rackstraw Downes’ painting and drawing exhibit at the Betty Cuningham Gallery on the Lower East Side, Do said.

Ruckus Manhattan is a papier maché model of New York City from the 1970s. Do describes Grooms’ Ruckus Manhattan as “cartoony,” while he explains Staver’s art revisions as myths from a woman’s point of view, Do said.

The Betty Cuningham Gallery website features a Rackstraw Downes painting called “Below the Hospital Complex at 168th Street,” painted on the West Side Highway near Columbia. This painting is important to show his classes because it takes place in an area many of his students frequent, and it feels “local and New Yorky,” Do said. “It also connects to scientific art because it doesn’t assume anything from reality,” he said.

The galleries’ websites also offer sneak peaks of the artwork that Do’s classes will view on Friday. The Blue Mountain Gallery’s website, for instance, features Weidle’s “Bike, With Yamaha,” an oil on canvas painting. This painting is perceptual artwork, which is a key concept he and his classes will explore, Do said.

“I’m super excited for the art trip,” Jaden Katz (12) said. “I have been pushing Mr. Do to take us to the downtown galleries because he knows a ton about the art and is friends with some of the artists. I respect his opinion a lot so I’m excited to see what he has to say about the contemporary New York art scene,” she said.

Simon Sankey (12) is also enthusiastic about receiving Do’s “critical feedback on published works of art,” he said. “I hope to find inspiration that I can incorporate into my current pieces.”

The students will also visit a gallery that Katz works at, and she looks forward to showing Do around, she said. Do hopes that the field trip will help his students further understand perceptual and scientific artwork, he said.