Arts Club Decorates Lutnick Hall

Amelia Feiner, Staff Writer

When Gabby Fischberg (10) walked into Lutnick Hall for the first time, she immediately noticed that the new building’s walls were blank and empty. Although construction was unfinished, the bareness of the building was clear, she said. Fischberg decided that the first initiative of her new arts club would be figuring out a way to decorate the beautiful new building with even more beautiful student artwork, she said.

Fischberg was not the only student who felt this way when she saw the new building. “I had my homeroom there. We were surrounded by white walls and it felt kind of impersonal. It didn’t feel like a school where people go to have a fun time,” Sarah Sun (10), one of the co-heads of the new club, said.

Fischberg decided to found the arts club last year after realizing the school did not already have a club dedicated to showcasing student art, she said. “I was really looking forward to joining an arts club last year because I wasn’t able to have a drawing and painting class. I was really shocked that we didn’t already have some sort of arts club,” Fischberg said.

The original idea was to create a community for creatively minded people to inspire each other, give suggestions to each other, and help each other, co-head Celine Owens (10) said. “I’m really excited to just have a good time with my friends,” she said.

In terms of decorating Lutnick, Fischberg wants to try to make some large-scale projects to fill up the space. “If we could do some science related murals or portraits that would be really cool,” she said.

“We all work in Lutnick and it’s a part of our day there, so I think a lot of people want to be a part of changing their own environment,” Sun said. “You don’t have to be the best artist to be a part of the club, it’s just creating something fun.”

Right now, the only official place where the school has the right to show off student art is the gallery in Fisher Hall, Fischberg said. However, student art currently adorns the walls of several floors in Tillinghast.

Visual Arts teacher Kim Do, who serves as the club’s faculty advisor, believes that adding art around the building will give the school a warmer environment, he said. “There are a lot of new empty walls because of the construction, so there are lots of possibilities,” he said.

“He’s super on board for anything we want to do. If we have any new ideas he’s always there to help us out,” Fischberg said about Do’s role in the club.

One challenge that the club has faced is its ability to hang the art in the new building. Since they can’t damage the walls in any way, the club has been brainstorming various methods of displaying the art, Do said.

For the project, the club is focusing on a method that involves running a metal pole across the top of a wall and then using an invisible thread to hang the art from the pole, Do said.

Besides decorating the new building, the club also plans to curate an art gallery to showcase school art outside of the classroom, and they plan to participate in the Memory Project program. According to their website, the Memory Project “invites young artists around the world to create portraits as special gifts for children facing challenges for positive memories, kindness, and peace.”

The club plans to work together to create a large painting, Owens said.

Members of the club also want to participate in “Inktober,” a drawing initiative that challenges artists to create 31 ink drawings in 31 days, Sun said.

Although most of the initiatives are not finalized and the club has yet to officially meet, the members are excited to begin working, Do said.

“We look forward to spending the year creating more stuff for the school,” Fischberg said.