Cross Country teams excel at Mayors Cup in Van Cortlandt Park

Suraj Khakee, Contributing Writer

Last weekend, the Boys and Girls Cross Country teams participated in the Mayors Cup, a city-wide competition that allows schools from all five boroughs to compete against one another. The Boys team placed fifth in a group of 24 schools, and the Girls team finished 12th in a group of 22 schools.

“Mayors Cup is a big race across the city, but fairly small on the national scale, so I took it as a wake-up race and warm up for upcoming competitions, ” Eddie Jin (11) said.

Both teams have meets against the other Ivy League schools each Wednesday, and larger meets like Mayors Cup less frequently. Mayors Cup was a good opportunity for the underclassmen of the team to see a large-scale preparation in advance of the Manhattan High School Invitational on October 13th, Jin said. Jin acheived a personal best with a time of 13:59 for the 2.5 mile race.

Julia Robbins
Justin Gurvitch (9) places fourth at Mayors Cup

Runners on both the Boys and Girls teams went in with the goal of improving upon their previous times, and prove to themselves and the opposition that they could win, Masa Shiiki (11) said.

“The goal of each race is to improve, if only a little bit,” Shiiki said. “The Mayors Cup showed everybody where they stand, and what you have to do the rest of the way.”

“The weather was humid. It affected me partially as the humidity made it hard to breathe,” Shiiki said, “But I still feel that I ran well.”

“All of us showed tremendous effort and support for our team by cheering everyone on and making sure that everyone felt accomplished, no matter how well they did,” Rebecca Siegel (12) said. It was many of our team members second race and was a time for them to show their skills and make HM proud!”

Although for a race this early in the season, the emphasis is on the team, there were also some impressive individual performances to build off of. For the girls, Siegel finished eighth in the Varsity division, setting a personal record of 18:13 on the 2.5 mile course and Sareena Parikh (9) earned first place in her heat.

Jin finished third in the boys’ race and Shiiki finished fifth in the Varsity race. The freshmen also performed well, as Ethan Waggoner (9) won the freshman race, continuing a three-year trend in the school of winning that particular race, Jin said.

“As an underclassman, I strive to get better over the years and keep improving,” Sarah Taub (9) said.

“All of us showed tremendous effort and support for our team by cheering everyone on and making sure that everyone felt accomplished, no matter how well they did. It was many of our team members’ second race,” Taub said.

“I’m very excited to see how the team performs in Ivy League Championships later this month,” Richard He (12) said. “There’s a really nice dynamic on the team that pushes us to improve.”