Middle schooler’s thoughts on the show

Emma Colacino, Contributing Writer

The Middle Division theater cast performed “Almost, Maine,” last week, eliciting a range of opinions from the audience.

“Almost, Maine” features stories of love told in unique ways. The plots, such as a man shrinking in size after losing his love or a woman carrying her heart in a bag are representative of different aspects of love, such as heartbreak and rejection.

After watching the show in a mandatory assembly, the MD students displayed different reactions to it.

“I was really interested and I wanted to keep watching,” Isabella Ciriello (8) said.  Cassandra Ortiz (6) thought “it was awesome,” she said.

Science teacher Michael Degasperi thought that “some scenes were a bit awkward for some of the sixth graders,” he said.

Some students asked about things during the play, but explaining in the middle of the play was sometimes awkward because you never want to talk at a show, math teacher Catherine Garrison said.

Alexandre Saint-Sauveur (7) “became confused because the characters were not on for that long,” he said, while Naomi Gelfer (7) thought some things they could have explained better, she said.

The disjointed storyline was a cause of this confusion, as Ivan Dolphan (7)  “would’ve preferred a storyline in the play,” he said.

The younger students were also unable to relate to the themes of love. Kyra Steinbaugh (6)  felt that the play was way too mature for sixth grade, she said.

“I don’t think in sixth or seventh grade I’m going to be falling in love with anyone,” Ortiz said. However, she thought it was amazing because she enjoys romantic things, she said.

While Ram Narayanan (8) understood what the play was talking about he couldn’t connect to it very much because it was about adults, he said.   

“Most of the plots were for older people, like people in their 20’s, so it didn’t really connect to me,” Ciriello said. Nevertheless, Ciriello thought “the actors did a really amazing job,” she said. 

Garrison loved the play, but felt that some students “did not appreciate the play as much as teachers,” Garrison said, as “the understanding of these ideas comes with life experiences.”

“The show did a nice job of showing the complexity of the human brain, mind, and soul,” Degasperi said.