Meme groups HM students love: Sad Bois Class of 2023

Talia Winiarsky, Staff Writer

In the wake of disappointment, students who were did not get into their early decision college found solace in each other…and in memes.

The Facebook group, dubbed “Sad Bois 2023,” was created by Josh Benson (12) with the purpose of providing support to those who had not been accepted to their first-choice schools.

Benson said he had the idea for the group the day after the first round of early decisions were released. He and some friends were lamenting the college application process, while also telling jokes to make themselves feel better. “I realized I wanted to do this on a larger scale,” Benson said.

The group quickly grew in popularity as more students received their decisions, Benson said. It amassed over a hundred seniors from the school who had not been accepted to their colleges, and even some students who attend other schools, such as Riverdale, he said.

Members of the group could post memes, polls, or anything else that they wanted to share, as long as it was approved by Benson, or one of the other group moderators, who are all seniors at the school.

Shortly after the group’s formation in December, Andrew Rosen (12) joined the group. “It helped the class come together to realize that many other amazing and talented students were not accepted early decision,” Rosen said.

Moderator Everett Kagan (12) has published more than fifteen memes in the group. His most popular post pokes fun at the Common App home page, he said.

The group allowed Kagan to form connections with students who he was not friends with before, he said. “Kids who I had never talked to that were in other friend groups were posting things similar to what me and my friends were posting.”

One of Nicole Warszawski’s (12) favorite posts contained the name of a certain school, and prompted members to respond with a Facebook reaction if they had not been accepted.

“Getting a rejection letter is an isolating experience,” Warszawski said. The recipient of the letter only sees their name on it, but really, there are many other students at the school and throughout the country who are getting the same letter, she said.

In contrast, posts that prompted students to say if they’ve been rejected from a certain school, or posts that detailed how many schools a student had been rejected from made Eva Fortunato (12) hesitant within the group. “It seemed like people were trying to top each other on how many schools they got rejected from,” she said.

The group began declining in activity after all college decisions had been announced, and is currently inactive, Kagan said. “All good things must come to an end,” he said.