A professor’s path: Dr. Hubschman

Emily Shi, Staff Writer

“I’ve always felt drawn to teaching others, regardless of the institution,” Upper Division Math teacher Dr. Linda Hubschman said.

When Hubschman was in high school, she taught flute lessons to younger students. It was those lessons that drew her to teaching, she said.

After receiving her PhD in Philosophy, Hubschman taught Introduction to Philosophy, Ethics, Logic, a Seminar on Moral Improvement, and a Free Will Seminar in the Philosophy department at Yeshiva University (YU), she said.

YU has a dual program in which students study in a separate religion program along with their secular academic courses, which colored the way Hubschman conducted her philosophy courses, she said.

As a part of the religion program, Hubschman’s students studied the Talmud and Torah. These studies strengthened philosophical discussions because of the students’ willingness to debate morals, she said.

“The students were open to the idea that good and bad and right and wrong all exist, so we had a shared starting point. In a lot of other universities, you have to establish that before delving into ethics,” Hubschman said.

After Yeshiva, Hubschman came to HM to begin teaching math. She currently teaches AP Calculus AB, Precalculus AB, and Geometry Honors.

Hubschman decided to teach math based on her love for it, she said. “When you dig deep into mathematical problems, you find more beauty. The process of uncovering mathematical relationships with students is one of my favorite things,” she said.

Hubschman felt a smooth transition from teaching college students to high schoolers because of the support of teachers and administrators, she said.

Since her arrival at the school, Hubschman has noticed that a high school community feels more close-knit, whereas in a college environment, more emphasis was placed on individual research and lecture-based assignments, she said.

“I loved Yeshiva, but here the school fills up more of my life. Rather than thinking and writing for my own research, I can interact with students in an environment where everybody knows each other,” Hubschman said.

Halley Robbins (11) enjoys Hubschman’s Precalculus AB course due to its discussion-based style. “[Hubschman] does a good job of making sure we’re involved and is easygoing if anyone is confused,” she said.

According to Hubschman’s advisee and Geometry Honors student, Zara Packer (9), the classes and advisory group that Hubschman leads have developed into close environments, she said. “Everyone feels comfortable around Dr. Hubschman. She’s really kind and I feel comfortable talking about all of my issues because she’s willing to help.”

In her courses and advisory groups, Hubschman continues to remember lessons learned from Yeshiva. “I think that all of the hours of discussions with my students at YU about philosophy made me a more careful thinker, broadened my perspective, and helped me become more comfortable in the front of a classroom,” she said.

“I feel very fortunate to have experienced such different institutions because they’ve both been remarkable teaching jobs,” Hubschman said.