Collage Concert ends year on high note

Sam Singer and Chloe Choi

Tonight at 7:30 p.m., Gross Theater will be brimming with eager teachers, parents, and students, as student musicians perform in the anual end-of-year concert: the Collage Concert.

The concert will feature performances by three Steel Bands, Glee Club, Concert Glee, Treble Choir, Sinfonietta, Orchestra, Wind Ensemble, Jazz Band, and the Music Production classes.

Students have worked tirelessly all year, and the concert is meant to showcase their hard work and talent. Students and teachers will also be showing their appreciation for one another through performances and commendations, Chair of the Music Department and Steel Band Director Doug Epstein said.

Concert Glee is putting on a melodious and exciting rendition of Toto’s popular song ‘Africa,’ completed by an eight-person solo group beside an invigorating vocal percussive performance, Jonathan Mong (10) said. The group is also performing a unique version of the classic jazz piece ‘I’ll Be Seeing You,’ he said.

“I hope the concert shows the immense growth we’ve made through the year,” Mong said. “We initially had trouble getting all the notes down, but despite our shaky start, we’ve become a really strong choir and will give an impressive performance,” he said.

Glee Club worked to perfect performances of ‘Lonesome Road,’ the lively African folk piece ‘Tshotsholoza,’ and the vivacious ‘American Song Book,’ Dalia Pustilnik (9) said

“I’m so ecstatic for the Collage Concert because these songs are absolutely amazing, and we’ve worked so hard on them,” Pustilnik said.

Ming Xing Hawkins (9) is a member of the Wind Ensemble, which is playing ‘Folk Dances’ by Dmitri Shostakovich, one of the most popular wind composers of all time. “We’ve had a fantastic time preparing for the concert, and I can’t wait to perform and hear what others have been working on as well,” she said.

The HM Orchestra plans to wow the crowd with Astor Piazzolla’s ‘Libertango,’ a multi-part piece adapted for orchestra and designed to engage the audience, Alejandro Espejel (9) said.

“[Libertango] is a beautiful piece that we are all extremely excited to perform,” Espejel said. “We’ve been practicing a lot, so it’s become exciting and sounds gorgeous,” he said.

“Orchestra is like a big family, so we’re are all so eager to show everyone the hard work we’ve put into this concert,” Tomoko Hida (9) said.

All of the band ensembles are performing in the concert, including the 50-member Wind Ensemble and some of the Jazz Combos, Band Director Michael Bomwell said.

For the first time at any of the school’s concerts, Epstein’s Music Production classes are playing their own music between the performances of the larger groups, Epstein said.

“I’m especially excited about this chance my groups have, as they’ve been working for months to create new music from scratch,” he said.

“Whether your favorite genre is jazz, classical music, rock, or anything else, you’ll find it at our Collage Concert, which will show the monumental talent of all of our groups and directors,” Epstein said.