Jobs & Internships: Armaan Kakodkar (11)

Bradley Bennett, Staff Writer

Armaan Kakodkar (11) participated in a two-week-long internship at Manhattan’s Anne Frank Center (AFC) where he designed an educational program to serve the AFC’s mission.

According to its website, the AFC is a non-profit organization focused on educating young students about the Holocaust through Anne Frank’s diary.

Specifically, the AFC emphasizes the spreading of knowledge about the Holocaust in order to prevent similar events from occurring again. By educating a greater portion of the population, the AFC can more effectively achieve its goal, Kakodkar said.

To advance this mission, Kakodkar created an educational course that connects both public and private schools through joint learning, and he also discovered how to market and sell those programs to the schools, he said. The central aspect of the program is a ready-made course that private school students can use to teach younger public-school students about the program, as a service learning initiative.

Kakodkar believes the AFC’s work is important because “although the Holocaust was far in the past, anti-Semitism still exists today, so the AFC is really important because it allows the

new generation to stand up for people’s rights,” he said.

Kakodkar chose this program because “history is my favorite subject, and this was a great opportunity to learn about global issues at that time period,” Kakodkar said. “I was able to help educate high school and middle school students about the dangers of racism and discrimination.”

Through his research, Kakodkar realized that there is still work needed to be done to educate students about people like Anne Frank, he said.

Although the program he created will help educate many New York students, there is still a concerning number of students both in the city and around the country who lack the proper education about the Holocaust, Kakodkar said.

However, the AFC “tries to reach out to a wide range of students by doing projects in all 50 states in rural and urban areas,” Kakodkar said. “We specifically reach out to students who don’t already have knowledge about the topic, and by educating them, we can help them formulate their own ideas.”

So, he will continue researching Anne Frank and her story outside of school, he said. “I want to take what I learned at the internship and learn more about history’s relevance to today,” he said.