Summer art shines in Fisher Hall

Summer art shines in Fisher Hall

Nathan Zelizer, Staff Writer

Vibrant colors and captivating artwork surround the walls of the Fisher gallery, which has been showcasing student projects from the school’s various summer programs. The exhibit features artwork from the Summer Film Institute (HMSFI), Summer on the Hill, the previous school year’s Global Architecture course, and this summer’s Street Photography class.

In a small part of the wall next to the entrance, a television shows a full rotation of the films made during HMSFI. The films are the only animated work within the gallery and add an element of sound to the otherwise silent exhibit.

Sam Siegel (9) participated in the institute this year and enjoyed it, he said. “HMSFI was a great experience and was a lot of fun.” Siegel acted in several movies filmed throughout the four-week course and wrote one as well.

The exhibit also featured work from Street Photography. “The three weeks at the class were so much fun and I really learned a lot about both photography and New York City culture as a whole,” Liam Futterman (11) said. Futterman and his peers shared a mutual love for the class, he said.

Across from the entrance of the exhibit, at least one of each students’ pictures is displayed along a wall. The photos include portraits of individual people and of different buildings and artistic structures.

A photo taken by Aillil Walsh (10) depicts a side profile of a man wearing sunglasses in front of a solid blue wall. Another set of images capture people in motion, including one image of a young girl enthusiastically raising her arms in the air in front of doorsteps.

Adjacent to the row of pictures is a larger collage of various photos taken throughout the course, created by Art technician Emily Lombardo. Lombardo, who organized the exhibit, wanted to show student work and simultaneously create an interesting group collage, she said.

The third wall of the exhibit was dedicated to artwork from Summer on the Hill, whose participants were younger kids from all across the Bronx. While art was not the program’s primary focus, students worked on a banner filled with flowers, each one drawn using different construction paper and signed individually.

The center of the gallery features last year’s Global Architecture’s class’ models of houses and larger-scale buildings, individually placed on white podiums. One model is a large flower-like structure, which has fifteen petals. These petals vary in size and are scattered around the object. While the body of the structure is entirely white, the petals are painted brown along the edges.

Each class added a lot to the exhibit, Lombardo said. “All of the classes work harmoniously to create a beautiful installation.”

The next exhibit, called “Ways of Seeing,” opens on October 16, and will feature work from the different art courses.

Lombardo hopes that she can continue to work with students to create the gallery and is particularly excited for the HM246 Gallery at the end of February, she said.