Friday night lions: football falls to Dobbs Ferry

Talia Winiarsky, Staff Writer

Varsity Football’s game last Friday night against Dobbs Ferry was like a movie, Jonas Jacobson (11) said. “The team emerged from a steep road, and the entire town came behind them. The police department was there, they had cheerleaders, and it seemed like everyone from the school was there.”

After one sprained and bruised ankle, one fractured wrist, and three hours under Dobbs Ferry High School’s football field lights, the Varsity Football team finished their third game of the season on Friday night, Captain Nick Potash (12) said.

They lost with a score of 7-34, Potash said, continuing Dobbs Ferry’s so far undefeated record.

Dobbs Ferry is in the Class C bracket of the New York State Public High School Athletic Association (NYSPHSAA), according to the association’s website. “We aren’t in a specific class because we aren’t a public school, but they’re Class C, and we are basically Class Z,” Potash said.

Even though Dobbs Ferry is an intimidating opponent, playing better teams is important for improvement, Potash said. “The coaches decided that we might as well play the best teams that we can play.”

James (JT) Thomas (10) also said that Dobbs Ferry was more intense than other teams that the school usually plays against, such as Riverdale Country School and Ethical Culture Fieldston School (ECFS).

During games, the team will try to make conversation with their opponent about topics such as events occurring in the NFL, Thomas said. Usually, in games against ECFS and other similar teams, the two teams develop a relationship through this conversation.

In comparison, the team did not form a friendship with Dobbs Ferry because they did not seem to want to interact with the Lions, Thomas said. “Dobbs Ferry was very, very competitive.”

Dobbs Ferry plays a particularly difficult offense to defend, Potash said. “Their offense has a lot of misdirection. You never know where the ball is, so as a defense, it’s really tough to learn how to stop that.”

To prepare for each of their games, the team watches film of their opponents’ past games to learn their tactics, Potash said. However, the team can decide to change their strategies at the game to gain the advantage of making their opponents unaware of their plays.

The team is always prepared to be aggressive against the opponents, Potash said. “You get hurt. It’s football. It’s a physical sport, and we know that when we sign up.”

The team suffered two injuries at the game, Potash said. Potash sprained his ankle during the first play of the game when an opposing player stepped on it. Andrew Cassino (12) also fractured his wrist during the game.

Despite the skilled opponent and multiple injuries, Harry Winter (11) managed to score a touchdown, he said. “I took a handoff and I ran it to the endzone. They tried to tackle me, of course, and I had to dive and stretch to get into the endzone, which was a tough play.”

To improve for the future games, including the game this Saturday against Valhalla High School, the team watched the films from the game to learn from their mistakes, Winter said.

Besides building their playing skills, the team needs to boost their morale, Winter said. “We’re kind of acting as individuals, when we need to start playing more as a team.”

Jacobson also said that the teamwork could be improved. “We’re a team, so we have to work together, and move forward together.”

The main goal that the team will focus on for the next few weeks is winning the anticipated Homecoming game against Dalton, Coach Ronnie Beller said.

The Lions will have the home-field advantage of the game, as they are playing on Alumni Field.

“When it’s a home game, I feel a lot more comfortable,” Thomas said. “It’s your environment, your turf, and I personally play better at home games, and I think as a team we play better too.

To prepare, the team is working on improving their technique and continuing to learn of the fundamentals of the game, Beller said. “Our team is getting better and better each week.”