Ben Chasin (11): A shooting star for the Lions

Joshua Underberg, Staff Writer

On an average day, Ben Chasin (11) takes anywhere between 300 and 500 shots during a basketball workout.
Chasin, who has played competitive basketball since he was eight, averages 16 points and seven rebounds per game on the Boys Varsity Basketball team, helping lead them to a 7-5 start to the season. After beginning the season winning the MVP award at the school’s annual Peg Duggan tournament, the sharpshooter has had several exciting moments this season, including a three-pointer with under 10 seconds remaining that lifted the Lions to a victory over Trinity.
His success on the court is a reflection of his dedication to the sport and the many hours that he spends perfecting his craft, Chasin’s teammate Eddie Mantz (11) said.
“As a student athlete with a drive to play at the collegiate level, Ben has made the choice to prioritize basketball and academics over other aspects of his life,” Chasin’s mother, Pamela Chasin P ’21 ‘23 ‘26 said.
Chasin’s workouts begin after school with approximately 15 minutes of ball handling followed by layup drills on both sides of the rim, and he ends with shooting drills.
He focuses on his mid-range and three-point shots, along with practicing the footwork accompanying the shots, Chasin said.
Workouts on weekdays take between one to two hours, while on weekends they take between two to three, Chasin said. These workouts are in addition to school practices. On weeknights, Chasin works out on his own at his house, and he also works out with his Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) coach during the fall.
“Ben’s drive to always improve his game motivates him to wake up early and work out or shoot before school,” Pamela said. “Ben has even taken a basketball with him on family vacations so that he can practice.”
He often incorporates cardio exercises, such as running up and down a hill near his house, into his workouts, Chasin said. He frequently runs carrying weights and pauses to do push ups.
“Considering that I spend so much time working out and playing basketball, a challenge I face is getting my work done with such limited time,” Chasin said.“Basketball has helped me more efficiently structure my nights so that I can get the same amount of work done in less time.”
When the school season ends, Chasin plays for his AAU team, the New York Lightning, and participates in tournaments that begin in April. He competes in two to three tournaments a month from April to July in various locations including Pittsburg, Providence, and Springfield.
What makes Chasin unique on the court is the leadership qualities that he possesses, Mantz said. “When we are down in a game, he holds his head high and never counts us out, and if somebody is down, he will pick them right up,” he said.
While Chasin may not be the loudest player on the court, whenever he speaks everybody listens to him and respects him, teammate Jaden Kirshner (11) said.
“There is no easy way to guard him,” Mantz said. “He can shoot the lights out and also finish at the rim.”
Chasin is ambidextrous, which enables him to perform daily tasks, including eating and writing, with his left hand. He uses his right hand dominantly in basketball.
“Being ambidextrous helps me a lot in basketball because I feel really comfortable finishing around the rim and shooting with my left hand,” he said.
This gives Chasin an edge on his opponents, most of whom are stronger in one of their hands over the other.
Ben’s determination to succeed and his generosity are defining characteristics that are present every day at school, Mantz said. “There is truly no difference between Ben’s personality on and off of the court.”
While driving to be successful, Chasin looks up to his father as a role model, he said. “He is the hardest working person I know, and he works hard in all aspects of life.”
Chasin’s ultimate goal is to play basketball in college, he said. “I have loved basketball for a really long time, and my love for the game has only grown over the years.”