Welcome back from your SBPs

Welcome Back Horace Mann!

Whether you are a freshman at the starting line of high school or a senior rounding the home stretch, we are all part of the same community. We hope you had a restful and fulfilling summer and are excited for the year ahead.

To those returning, welcome back. And to those of you who are joining our community for the first time, we are delighted to welcome you to Horace Mann. The start of school always generates a mix of emotions from excitement to apprehension; it is a time to seize opportunities while also recognizing and adapting to a new set of challenges. Please know that we, along with our fellow upperclassmen, are here to lend a hand.

Throughout your time at HM, you will forge incredible friendships. For example, the two of us have been close friends since the start of 7th grade. We first met each other while “using our resources” at Dorr. From the beginning, we dreamed big: beating Joey Chestnut’s hot dog eating record, competing in the Olympics, and becoming Co-Student Body Presidents. We are grateful that at least one of these dreams has come true.

After a summer of plotting and planning, we are excited to serve you in the coming year.  We have a full agenda and cannot wait to get started. Here are just some of the things we have planned. In keeping with SBP tradition, we look forward to hosting a number of annual events including the Horace Mann Football League, the Buzzell Dodgeball Tournament, and Spring Roar festivities. Additionally, we plan to continue the successful I-period Speaker Series that began two years ago by inviting several interesting and accomplished people who are leaders in their respective fields to speak at HM. We will also organize fun and entertaining assemblies that showcase the many talents of the student body. And with the support of Ms. Bartels, we plan to expand the variety of foods offered during Break, which for many of us, is the most convenient time of the day to get a needed boost.

We have already met with a number of teachers and administrators, and we look forward to working with them to accomplish our goals, especially those related to student wellness and service-based initiatives. Our pledge to you is to do what we can to make HM a happy, supportive, and inclusive community.

Whether you’re a lion on the field, on the stage, in the studio, or in the classroom, we want to help you roar as loud as possible. To that end, we will work to encourage greater attendance at HM sporting events and to promote our fellow classmates across the entire extra-curricular spectrum. The strength of the Horace Mann community is rooted in our diversity and the sense of inclusion that we seek to foster. Each of us brings our own identity and perspective. We can and should celebrate this diversity as it is one of the things that makes our community so special.

We look forward to hearing from you on how, together, we can improve our community and make the most of the year ahead. Horace Mann is full of curious and creative thinkers and doers, and we would love to hear your ideas. Please feel free to reach out at any point.

For now, welcome back everyone. We can’t wait to get started!

Your SBPs,

Daniel and Siddarth