Harrison Bader’12 Ventures to the Major Leagues

Abigail Salzhauer, Staff Writer

Harrison Bader ’12, the second alum of the school to make it to the major leagues in the last decade, scored the winning run for the St. Louis Cardinals against the Colorado Rockies on July 25th. At the bottom of the ninth inning the score was tied 2-2. Bader, the lead-off batter, hit a double into the corner of left field. Bader scored the winning run on Jedd Gyorko’s hit later in the inning.

Bader was drafted as the Cardinals’ 100th overall pick during his senior year at the University of Florida in 2015. The morning of the 24th, Bader was in Memphis, TN preparing to play for the Redbirds, a minor league team, when he heard from his manager that the Cardinals had called him up.

Bader’s mother, Janice Baio-Bader P’12 ‘17, and sister, Sasha Bader ’17, rushed to St. Louis to see him play. Louis Bader P ’12 ’17. His father, was with him when he got the call from the Cardinals and was able to accompany him on his trip to Busch Stadium.

Harrison played six games in the major leagues before returning to the minor leagues. He was called up to fill in for someone on the disabled list after earning Cardinals Minor League Player of the Month in July, Janice said.

Harrison started playing catch with his father around the age of two, Louis said. “He really liked it and from that point forward I would take him to local ball fields and pitch to him. This continued until he was about 12 years old, at which point it became increasingly dangerous for me to pitch to him because he was hitting the ball so hard and, at times, it was difficult for me to get out of the way,” Louis said

Bader was always a standout player both in school and in the league. “Bader was self motivated and driven by the desire to be a major league player. He let nothing get in his way,” Neil Berniker, who was the Varsity Baseball coach when Bader was at the school, said. Bader was supported by the school’s coaches, faculty, administration and his family so that he could reach his goals, Berniker said.

Harrison played in his town’s little league, attended many camps until he was fifteen, and tried out for the New York Grays, a summer travel team who played tournaments throughout the Northeast, Louis said.

While playing at school, Bader was a dominant presence in the Ivy Preparatory School League and in New York City. He played four years of Varsity Baseball at the school. As captain his senior year, his team mates looked up to him and admired his desire and daily work ethic, Berniker said.

“We are proud of Harrison’s post HM accomplishments as he reaches success as a major leaguer. We wish him only the best and enjoy the journey to ‘the show,’” Berniker said.

“Janice and I have always been proud of Harrison. Whatever success he ultimately achieves will be well deserved because he loves the game and nobody works harder at it, both on and off the field.  Seeing him step on a Major League field for the first time, as a player, was an amazing sight for Janice, Sasha and me.  It is a dream come true for Harrison, but this is just the beginning,” Louis said.