New ICIE Associate Sharina Gordon joins faculty

Will Han, Staff Writer

Identity, Culture, Institution Equity (ICIE) Associate Sharina Gordon, the newest addition to the ICIE team, will be working with Director of ICIE Patricia Zuroski and co-Director of ICIE John Gentile to further equity and inclusion initiatives across all the divisions, Gentile said.

Before coming to the school, Gordon spent over 10 years teaching diversity and social justice. She also facilitated numerous workshops at colleges, corporations, museums, and other art organizations.

Social justice is extremely important to me, both personally, as a way to navigate the world and professionally, as a way to ground the day-to-day work I do,” Gordon said.

“I find it to be a very empowering and liberating field as I’m encouraged to create and expand spaces that enable the best lives for all,” Gordon said.

Gordon spent the past four years working at a global investment bank, helping to run the diversity and inclusion training, as well as the professional development efforts.

“While an enriching experience,” Gordon said, “I’ve been wanting to get back into a school environment for some time now, and I’m thrilled to meet and get to know all the students, faculty, and staff here.”

“Ms. Gordon brings great energy and knowledge to ICIE. She has had many different experiences that inform her equity and inclusion practice that will expand our abilities to think about how that work happens at HM,” Gentile said.

In addition to her work in social justice and diversity, Gordon enjoys writing personal narrative stories and speculative fiction, she said.

Gordon is also a part of a queer and trans people of color multidisciplinary artist collective called Codify Art. The group provides a platform for artists of color, especially women and queer people of color, Gordon said.

Gordon will be available to everyone in the school community as a partner in understanding equity and inclusion work, Gentile said. As for advice, “Jump right in and explore all the great things HM has to offer,” he said, addressing Gordon.