Summer spotlight: academic programs

Jude Herwitz, Staff Writer

At the conclusion of her two-week stint studying international affairs and security at the Yale Young Global Scholars program, Julia Hornstein (10) may have thought her educational experience for the summer complete.

However, on her journey back to New York, she only learned more about her surrounding world, talking with a student from Tunisia about his home country’s politics and society, as well as his own experience growing up and attending boarding school in South Africa.

“He is one of my really close friends,” Hornstein said, speaking of the student with whom she traveled back to New York City.

Her normal summer camp ended last summer, she said, so this year was her first attending an academic program.

“I’ve been going to camp for the past 8 summers,” Hornstein said, “so I decided to do an academic program because it was a change of pace from something that I’ve been doing for so long.”

The number of international students who participated drew Hornstein to Yale Young Global Scholars specifically, as it differed from her prior summer experiences at her camp, where almost all the attendees were Americans, Hornstein said.

After this summer, Hornstein has more experience listening to and discussing different political viewpoints, due to the geographic diversity of students who attended Yale Young Global Scholars.

“Since there were so many people from all around the U.S. and the world, there were a lot of people who would voice their different political opinions and views, which I found really interesting to hear,” Hornstein said.

Through taking courses primarily on investment and entrepreneurship at Villanova University through Julian Krinsky Camps and Programs, Jack Eagen (10) also learned strategies for time management and working with others — skills that he could bring back to his work at the school, he said.

“I think something I took out of the program was the value of thinking about different ways of approaching critical pr

oblems, not just with business models and company projections, but with tests and other academic problems,” Eagen said.

One project involved Eagen group’s creating a 60-slide PowerPoint presentation on several companies of their choice in a very limited time frame. “We really needed to combine critical thinking, good teamwork, and working efficiently to create such a lengthy project,” Eagen said.

For Chloe Bown (12), who studied psychology in the Summer at Brown program, it was her first time attending an academic program in the summer.

“If the definition of life of the mind is diversity of thought, taking on new challenges and learning new things, it definitely contributed to that,” Bown said. “I think that it expanded my perspective of not only the different people I can meet and will meet when I’m older, but the different interests that I’ll have as well.”