Lower Division hosts workshop for girls in STEM

Abigail Salzhauer, Staff Writer

This past Saturday the Lower School held a girls in STEM workshop for students in second and third grades. This Saturday’s theme was marine sciences.

This program, called the WISE Program exists mainly in Lower, but has held events in the middle school in the past. The program, led by LD science center teacher Katie Diaz, would like to have more events across other divisions in the coming year.

The workshops are offered two to three times a year for students of each grade level in Lower in addition to a few for Kindergarteners and sixth graders, Diaz said. They take place on Saturday mornings and days when there is not school, such as parent-teacher conference day.

This Saturday’s workshop kicked off the third year of the WISE Program and included a marine biology workshop presented by the New York Aquarium, constructing a cage to keep divers safe from sharks, and building an “ocean in a bottle,” Diaz said.

“Research shows that the more children participate in activities that develop spacial awareness, the more likely they are to choose classes and eventually careers in the STEM fields.  This gives the girls an opportunity to practice those skills in a format that is different from the regular school day,” Diaz said.

This coming year Diaz will also be offering three STEM workshops for boys.