New Faculty: Camilla Nivison

Surya Gowda, Staff Writer

Camilla Nivison will be joining the science faculty beginning this fall.

After the departure of two biology teachers, the department needed to hire replacements, Upper Division Dean of Faculty and science teacher Dr. Matthew Wallenfang said.

Nivison is teaching three sections of ninth grade biology and one section of Advanced Topics in Biology.

“We are extremely excited to have both of them joining our department, and I think their students will feel lucky to have such talented teachers,” Wallenfang said.

Nivison previously worked at North Mount Hermon School in Massachusetts before joining the school. She is excited about coming to the city and meeting all of the people at the school, she said. While interviewing and visiting the school, Nivison loved the people working in the science faculty and felt as though the school had a great community, she said.

“I make teaching hands-on. I like to have labs with students where they discover what they’re learning,” Nivison said. Students can look forward to having more labs that are engaging and help them understand what they are learning through action, she said.

She also plans to take her classes outdoors and wants her students to be “ready to go outside,” she said.

Nivison’s hobbies include sailing, hiking, biking, and rock climbing. She enjoys going outdoors, she said. Her special talent is making “an awesome chocolate cake.”

Currently, her favorite book is All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr and she loves any book written by Margaret Atwood, she said.