New Faculty: Melissa Doellman

Surya Gowda, Staff Writer

Melissa Doellman will be joining the science department this fall.

Doellman is teaching teaching two sections of ninth grade biology and two sections of Advanced Placement (AP) Biology.

Doellman spent six years teaching in Illinois at the University High School. She is coming to the school because she had “always dreamed of getting out of the Midwest,” she said.

Doellman lived in Illinois all of her life and moving to the city fulfills a lifelong dream, she said. She likes the school because of its approach to education, along with the numerous clubs and opportunities offered to the students and the diversity that the school has, she said. She wants to build her life perspective and experiences, she said.

“I want to make my teaching as fun and interactive as I possibly can,” she said. She wants her students to be as involved as “one can be,” she said. Along with creating a relaxed learning environment, she wants her students to know that it is okay to be able to struggle with things they might not understand, she said.

“I’m here to learn as much as I’m here to teach. I want to learn more about the subject I teach and about the students,” she said.

Doellman learned how to fish when she was three years old and it is a pastime she enjoys doing with her family.

Doellman’s favorite TV show is ‘The Flash’ because it incorporates science into its storyline and is superhero related, she said.

“In our biology teacher meetings this summer, [Nivison and Doellman] have already made a strong positive impact with their passion and willingness to collaborate with the other biology teachers as we strive to make our classes as engaging as possible, and both truly demonstrate a commitment to the Life of the Mind that we value here,” Wallenfang said.