Faculty members to take on new roles next year

Madison Li, Staff Writer

Head of School Dr. Tom Kelly announced this week that Head of Middle Division Robin Ingram, AP Calculus AB teacher and Registrar Mitchell Francis, and Associate Director of Middle & Upper Division Admissions Chris Garrison will be transitioning to new roles next year.

Ingram will be stepping down from her position after the end of this school year. She will transition to working in the Middle and Upper Division Admissions Office under Director of Admissions Jason Caldwell, according to an email sent by Kelly on Friday, April 13.

While the average time in New York City for division heads is four to six years, Ingram has served in her position for 14 years, she said.

“I felt like it was time for other people who have good ideas to take over; I’m excited to see how the new Head will restructure the Middle School,” Ingram said.

In her new position, Ingram will be aiding the Admissions Office in implementing a new software program, Ravenna, which is nowadays used for many college and private school applications, she said.

As she has always interviewed middle school candidates for the school, Ingram will be able to apply her knowledge of what makes a good fit for a middle school student when she interviews both middle and high school candidates, she said.

Her other responsibilities will include managing the Student Ambassador Program, which is currently run by Garrison, and visiting fairs at other schools.

Ingram will miss teaching her sixth grade science class every day and will likely only teach her eighth grade Crime Lab elective, she said.

Garrison will transition from the Admissions Office into his new role as Registrar at the start of the new school year, he said.

“I feel that I’ve taken an enormous amount from this position, and I’ve learned a lot about so many different aspects of the school while working with amazing people that I’m grateful to have worked with,” Garrison said.

Garrison has worked in the Admissions Office in his current role for seven years, and he has also served as the Head of the Student Ambassador Program, he said.

“[Garrison’s] positive energy is infectious and made me love giving tours and attending open houses,” Isha Agarwal (10), a Student Ambassador, said.

Garrison’s new responsibilities as Registrar include overseeing the student information system that the school uses, which manages scheduling, grades, narratives, and progress reports, he said.

Francis will retire from his two positions at the end of the school year, he said. He has been creating schedules at the school since 1991 and was appointed as the First Registrar of the school in 2008, he said.

Francis has been working with the student database, which includes grades and narratives. His role involves organizing schedules and other student information, he said.

“Mr. Francis, besides being the true snow g-d, has been an incredible teacher; our class has loved his stories, sense of humor, patience, and endless enthusiasm,” Beatrix Bondor (12) said. “I think our G period Calculus class and the entire school will definitely be sad to say goodbye to him.”

Overall, Francis has learned a lot from his students and colleagues from his time at the school, and he has had an amazing time being a teacher at the school, he said. “I’ve coined the phrase ‘Teacher Heaven,’” Francis said.

Horace Mann Probability of a Snow Day Index (HMPSDI) will unfortunately be retiring as well this year because Francis is the only one who knows how to calculate the probabilities, he said.

For the next two years, Francis will be living at John Dorr Nature Laboratory with his wife, Dorr Administrative Assistant Lorna Francis, and working as a database consultant for the school. Then, his wife and he will be moving to Burlington, Vermont for retirement, he said.