MUN ends year, wins awards at Cornell Conference

Bradley Bennett, Staff Writer

Last weekend, Model United Nations (MUN) traveled to Cornell University for their last major conference of the year,  taking home the award Oustanding Large Delegation.

“This was the most proud of the team I have been all year; this conference was really a culmination of all the hard work we have put in,” co-Secretary General Valerie Maier (12) said.

Arman Kumar (10), Connor Morris (11), and Shant Amerkanian (11) each  also won individual awards for Best Delegate.

“We won because of our preparation and the fact that the team allows sophomores and juniors to work together, ask questions and help with research,” Kumar said. “We were up against the best schools in the country and showed a lot of skill,” he said.

In most Model UN conferences, an upperclassman will have “unders,” usually freshmen and sophomores, who help the upperclassman and give them a better chance of winning an award, Maier said.

However, at this conference, “there were no over and under partnerships, so students could take on more work,” Maier said. “It was a situation where both the over and the under could do well.”

It was fun that underclassmen could choose which delegates they wanted to work with at this conference, Roey Nornberg (10) said. “You don’t have to just do busy work while you have an ‘over’ doing the interesting things,” he said.

“Our goal is always to do well and win awards, but also to train younger delegates,” co-Secretary General Evan Megibow (12) said. “At this conference it felt like we were able to give sophomores their own committees.”

Model UN has participated in the Cornell conference for the past three years, Megibow said. “It’s always one of the biggest competitions of the year. It’s very well run and the team always has a good time.”

Since the conference takes place on Cornell’s campus, students had the opportunity to learn about the university, Nornberg said. “You get to see the different rooms of the college; you get to explore the college; you get to walk and see the town by yourself,” he said.

As a senior, this was Maier’s last conference. “It’s been four years of me dedicating time, so after finishing the last session I was definitely emotional,” she said.