Editorial – Kavanaugh

Editorial Board

This week’s wave of political headlines includes one particularly relevant to our community – the sexual assault accusations against Supreme Court Justice nominee Brett Kavanaugh.

Recently Professor Christine Blasey Ford stepped forward alleging Kavanaugh of sexually assaulting her while they were in high school. Kavanaugh is a politically divisive choice for those who do not agree with his past rulings, but was still a previously well-respected figure.

The accusations have prompted nuetral discussions about consent and drunken teenage behavior. We hope these discussions are taken seriously and both sdes are given a full legitimate chance to explain the accusations.

Unfortunately, many politicians have belittled Ford’s accusations by saying Kavanaugh was a teenager when the incident occurred, and that therefore that the alleged assault does not represent the person he is today. Consequently, this raises the question to us as a student body of how our actions as teenagers affect us long term.

Beginning in the Lower Division, we are told that we are Horace Mann students regardless of where we are. We represent the emblem of HM, whether at home, at a party, or on campus. We are expected to make the right decisions on our own, representing the school in everything we do.

As students, we are constantly told we are future world leaders, and as such, expected to consider the impact of every decision we make. And as teenagers, we do have the ability to make conscious and morally sound decisions.

The Kavanaugh proceedings show that the choices we make in high school matter. We may not be legal adults, but we still have the ability to rationalize and think of our impact, to consider how our actions not only affect ourselves, but our future selves and the futures of those around us.