Flash Flood Alert

Flash Flood Alert

Juli Moreira

Juli Moreira

Juli Moreira

Aaron Snyder, Satirist

After torrential downpours hit the New York area on Tuesday, Horace Mann students weren’t just drowning just in work or emails about clubs, but actual water. In addition to creating larger than normal puddles across campus, the excessive rain caused those stairs whose location nobody can actually describe (“you know, how you get into that area between Fisher and Pforzheimer”) to flood. The Middle School Science Department was ecstatic because they were able to relocate the seventh grade stream wading lab from Dorr to the staircase, and in the 70th mass email everyone received this week, the sponsors of the water bottle embargo encouraged students to head outside to fill up their reusable water bottles. For the rest of the school, the incident was viewed as a serious hazard. The flooding came up in a heated D period question and answers session after the safety assembly. When asked how students ought to best prepare for future rainy days, the Public Safety department gave the following tips:

1. Stay inside.

2. Ditch your umbrellas in favor of holding your bag over your head as you book it across the field.

3. Sneakers or normal rain boots won’t cut it – you’re probably going to need a full body wetsuit or Glenn Sheratt’s personal collection of  wading pants.

4. If it’s really raining you should be prepared for the possibility of needing to swim. If this is an issue for you, contact: thatcher_woodley@horacemann.org.