UD Faculty Poetry reading showcases staff work

Laura Bae, Staff Writer

Today, faculty will gather in Fisher Rotunda to share their poetic creations at the first Upper Division Faculty Poetry Reading. The event will also promote English teacher Harry Bauld’s newly published book of poems, The Uncorrected Eye.

The event is the first of its kind to feature the creative writingg of faculty members. “We have a lot of opportunities and events where we highlight students’ writing at this school, but I think it is interesting for students to see their teachers in a different role than just teaching—to see that their teachers are also artists and are also producing their own art,” English teacher Kimberly Traube said.

The event will further celebrate faculty accomplishments by promoting Bauld’s new book of poetry, “an art and passion that Bauld is entirely devoted to,” Head of the English department Vernon Wilson said.

While the majority of participants reading pieces will be from the English department, mathematics teacher Richard Somma and former Middle Division English teacher Molly Johnson will also share their work.

“Mr. Somma is going to read his work, and that to me is the highlight: people in other departments are willing to share their poems,” English teacher Harry Bauld said. “I’m hoping that it will encourage other secret poets among the adults, because anybody who undertakes the ridicule and penury that poetry writing brings to you deserves support, encouragement, and a brief round of applause,” he said.

Somma believes the reading will be beneficial to the community of faculty.

“I think there’s something in other faculty learning something about me so that they can see me in a different light,” he said.

Traube hopes that the event inspires not only the adults, but also students with their own writing, and encourages students nervous about reading to take the plunge and share their own work at the next student reading, she said.

“We’re going to learn something about everyone who reads and what they love,” Somma said. “That alone that they love it is good to share. Poetry is an expression of people.”