Other New Clubs

Allison Isko and Izzy Abbot

This year, there are a number of new clubs for students to join, including the New York City Interfaith Network, the Hospital Outreach Program, and the Puppy Club.    

The New York City Interfaith Network, led by Diana Shaari (11), Nader Granmayeh (12), and Richard Hausman (12), was created in order to bring awareness to a previously overlooked group, to help stop islamophobia, and to bridge the gap between two divided communities.

“We believe that while islamophobia and racial division might seem entrenched and too arduous to tackle in this current climate, each conversation, each school exchange, and each budding friendship creates a ripple of hope and a promise of change,” Granmayeh said. His goal is for the program to continue monthly conversations held with the Muslim students from the Al-Noor School in Brooklyn, and he hopes the club will work with the mayor’s office to spread awareness of the organization throughout the city.                       

The Hospital Outreach Program, led by Sam Keimweiss (11) was started as a way to give students an opportunity to volunteer at hospitals, but it will also provide a way to fulfill the service learning requirement, he said.

Inspired by an idea from Jack Weber ‘17, who had wanted to bring students to visit children in the hospital with cancer, the goal is to teach students not only how to volunteer at hospitals, but to connect them with different volunteer programs as well. A hospital employee may come to talk to the club, and a reflection session for the volunteers and those interested in the club will be hosted later in the year, said Keimweiss.

Founded by Ryan Hoang (12), the Puppy Club will aim to bring more joy and help relieve stress throughout the school year.

“I don’t have a lot of time left at the school, and wanted to find a way to bring my friends and the community together,” Hoang said.

Hoang aims to send weekly mass emails with puppy pictures and videos as well as host therapy dogs during testing weeks to give people a little relief during busy school days, he said.

“Sometimes when I’m stressed out I just need to watch cute puppy videos to calm me down,” Hoang said. “I just wanted to create a low-commitment club that would allow myself and my peers to catch a break during all the school chaos.”