Spotlights on MD sports stars: Harry Lowy

Nathan Zelizer, Contributing Writer

A key contributor to the Middle Division’s (MD) Wrestling Team’s success this season was eighth-grader Harry Lowy (8), according to Wrestling team Coach Gregg Quilty.

Lowy won both of his matches and was a central factor in the development of the younger players, Quilty said.

“I won both of my matches by a pin which I am pretty happy about,” Lowy said. He felt this showed his skill, he said. In his second match of the year, he pinned his opponent in under 15 seconds. “His most impressive skill was his headlock,” teammate Luke Millowitz (8) said.

Although Lowy had an outstanding season, he still thinks that he could work on his technique to truly perfect it, he said. “Both technique and form, but I definitely need to improve my technique,” he said. He plans on working on this in the offseason as well as doing weight training to become physically stronger, he said.

Lowy only started wrestling in seventh grade. He had no prior experience but he and his friends all decided to join together. But now he loves the sport for many reasons, he said.

“It’s a difficult sport, and I like competing in a challenging competition,” he said. He also likes how little running there is and how much the mental game is central to the sport, he said.

Not only was he a dedicated wrestler, but he helped develop the younger kids on the team as well, Quilty said. “Harry was a role model for the younger kids on the team,” he said. “He always liked keeping kids on task and, if necessary, catching them up on what they missed.”

Lowy plans to continue to wrestle next year in the high school. When he joins the Upper Division team, the MD team will miss his leadership and talent, Quilty said.