Fisher Gallery features works from HM 246 Program

Diana Shari

Diana Shari

Diana Shari

Liliana Greyf, Contributing Writer

The school’s second annual HM 246 Gallery, which showcased a diverse and colorful selection of art ranging from paintings to handmade catapults, opened this past Wednesday in the Fisher Gallery.

HM 246 is a community service program led by the Center for Community Values and Action (CCVA) in which students design and teach lessons in 14 different subjects to younger students from Bronx community organizations such as Kingsbridge Heights Community Center and the Henry Ittleson Center.

“HM 246 opens our doors to our local partners every Wednesday afternoon. In the second trimester, we had about 100 elementary- and middle school-aged participants from four local agencies,” Director of HM 246 and Director of the Center for Community Values & Action Dr. Jeremy Leeds said.

The event serves as an end piece for this trimester’s programs, displaying what the students accomplished during their three months of classes.

“The HM 246 Gallery Show presents the artworks of students from the HM246 after school program. Art being in its broadest terms, including painting, calligraphy, ceramics, puzzles, elevator pitches, videos of the students debating, acting, etc,” Sarah Sun (10) said.

The gallery represented the culmination of the work that students have been doing in various fields in the program.

“HM 246 offers a variety of courses that allowed children of the Bronx to explore their academic and vocational interests. Among them, the Entrepreneurship class provided a space for students’ voices to be heard by guiding the participants through the process of creating their own business plan,” Tyler Jonas (12) said.

Student curators Tess Abraham (10), Sasha Matt (12), Leonora Gogos (11), Diana Shaari (11), Arya Patel (10), and Sun organized the event, each of whom was responsible for collecting items from three to four HM 246 classes.

“I specifically was in charge of collecting objects from the programs Women in Science and Engineering, Math Magicians and Chinese,” Shaari  said.

“The objects collected are meant to showcase what the respective programs have been working on throughout the semester. For example, we will be displaying Chinese calligraphy on behalf of the Chinese program, and catapults from the Women in Science and Engineering program,” she said

Dora Woodruff (11) led a course called ‘Mathemagicians,’ in which students participated in “creative, interactive projects related to math,” she said.

The students were allowed to invite any friends and family who they wanted, and the opportunity for them to display their work in a gallery setting was exciting, as they worked so hard, Gogos said.

“I think the purpose of the gallery is to make all of the students who worked hard over these past few trimesters in HM 246 programs feel really proud of what they’ve done and feel like there is a communal moment of celebrating what all of the programs have accomplished.” Visual Arts Department Chair Dr. Hetherington said.