Following the arts: student artist share their creative works on social media

Hannah Long

Hannah Long

Hannah Long

Serving as an online gallery and creative platform, social media allows student artists to share their artwork, ranging from photography, sculpture, ceramics, and illustration.

One such artist, Rachel Zhu (10) began to post her illustrations to Instagram as a means to share her work beyond her close friends and family. “I wanted to put my work out into the world and try to gain a wider audience,” she said

On the other hand, Kyra Kwok (12) uses social media to promote interest in ceramics by inviting classmates to join her in the ceramics studio and showcasing their work through her art class’s Instagram account “HM_claybaes.” “I got the idea when I started discussing with Renner how we could get more HM kids into the studio, she said.

“I post a variety of things. If I’m particularly struck by a piece, I’ll post it and of course if I think something is particularly beautiful I’ll post it. I think most importantly I post a lot of fails- pieces that I mess up completely, pieces that I crush, or just pieces that are kind of silly or fun,” Kwok said.

Recognizing the growing presence of the arts on social media, Kwok wanted to share her love of the craft with her peers, she said. “Ceramics is a huge part of my life and it’s something I want people to both see but also experience.”

In creating her Instagram, Kwok also wanted people to begin formally recognizing ceramics as a legitimate form of art, she said.

“Of course, I hope people see my work and find it beautiful. But I also want it to be understood – every piece is a result of work put in, time expended in the studio perfecting small details, and decisions made every step of the way, Kwok said”

Similarly, Taimur Moolji (11) shares his passion for ceramics though his Instagram account by not only exhibiting his art work, but also closely documenting his process.

Moolji had initially been shy to start posting his work but after watching videos of other potters sharing their failed pots online he became more confident to post his own videos, he said. 

Similar to Zhu and Moolji, student photographer Hannah Long (12) uses social media as a creative platform through her Instagram account “cameraofhannah.” “My goal is simply to bring a bit of joy to the people around me through beautiful visuals, Long said”

“I think photography is super cool because it can capture all the prettiest and most fascinating fleeting moments of life and preserve them forever,” Long said.

For Long, her social media presence makes her more conscious in her daily-life of potential content for her account, she said.

“Sometimes I am awestruck by the amazing scenes around me in the world, so I like to share that experience with other people, Long said”

Posting my creations to Instagram makes me more motivated to throw bigger pots and more of a perfectionist because I always want to post my best work,  Moolji said.

“I think the biggest thing is that I worry a lot more about image- considering the best way to photograph pieces isn’t something I’ve ever considered. I think I lose an important tactile aspect of experiencing ceramics, but I gain the ability to choose what parts of the piece people see,” Kwok said.