Lady Bird grows up

Eliza Poster, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Any student who confronts the college process knows the dread of sitting down with parents to have the inevitable “where do you want to go to school?” talk, but few of us would imagine hurling ourselves out of a moving car in order to avoid our mother’s condemnation. Yet when Lady Bird McPherson (Saoirse Ronan) does just this, it’s relatable. Despite her proclivity for the flamboyant and often extreme, Lady Bird’s story is underscored by emotions familiar to anyone navigating the turbulent waters of adolescence: the highs and lows; the confusion, elation, and longing.
Filmmaker Greta Gerwig’s 2017 directorial debut puts a contemporary twist on the traditional coming-of-age story. Taking place in a post 9/11 America and centering around characters coping with issues of identity which past films about teenagers have largely neglected and the influence of new technology. Kyle Scheible’s (Timothée Chalamet) commendation of Lady Bird for dodging her surveillance by the government by not having a cell phone seems especially relevant.
What Lady Bird does best is give a somewhat accurate glimpse into what coming-of-age is— most people don’t turn their backs on childhood and suddenly have everything figured out. It ends in a moment of recognition of the potential—the likelihood— of struggle ahead and a simultaneous realization of gratitude.