Welcome new UD history teacher: Dr. Alicia DeMaio

Oliver Lewis, Staff Writer

History teacher Dr. Alicia DeMaio has been immersed in history from an early age. This year, she will be joining the History Department to teach Atlantic World History and United States History. DeMaio said she is excited to teach both classes, as she studied American History with a substantial focus on the Atlantic World at Harvard University. As part of her PhD program at Harvard, DeMaio taught her own class, American History Through Music, offered in the curriculum of the university’s Pre-College program. The class allowed her to mesh two subjects she is passionate about: history and musical theater, she said. DeMaio was excited to move to New York from Boston to experience the shows that the city has to offer; however, because of the pandemic, she cannot attend any yet. While living in Boston during her PhD program, DeMaio took up figure skating for the first time. To stay busy during quarantine, she has been baking and completing complex puzzles. In high school, DeMaio was drawn to history because of her fascination with the similarities and differences between the way people behave in the past and the present, she said. She volunteered at Brandywine Battlefield in Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania, which was one of her earliest experiences teaching history. DeMaio was drawn to the school because of its commitment to writing, and she especially loves the school’s numerous student publications, she said. As an avid reader, she is excited to use the Katz Library. Her favorite book is “Moby Dick,” a novel she finds amusing, and her most recent read was Chanel Miller’s memoir, “Know My Name.”