Talwar (11) brings beaded benefits

Zachary Kurtz, Staff Writer

In the midst of the pandemic, Arushi Talwar (11) founded The Beadside, a jewelry company that specializes in glass bead bracelets. 

A percentage of the company’s profits are donated to Food Bank 4 NYC, New York City’s largest food bank. The Beadside was able to donate enough funds for 250 meals in its first month alone, Talwar said. 

Talwar, who is The Beadside’s sole employee, makes all of the bracelets by hand, sourcing the glass beads from Mandala Crafts Inc. Each time a bracelet is ordered, she personalizes the packaging before sending it to the buyer. Each bracelet costs $13.50 and has a name such as Sunkissed, Sky High, or Nova, according to The Beadside’s website.

“They’re simple and unique at the same time [with] gorgeous color combos,” Hanna Hornfeld (11) said. “The glass beads make them delicate and understated, but you can layer them on for more of a fun statement.”

Talwar also runs the brand’s social media and website. The Beadside’s Instagram page features posts of its brand ambassadors displaying the bracelets and shares updates on the company. The 25 brand ambassadors receive a discount code to share with their social media followers and help The Beadside decide which products to release next, Talwar said.

Talwar initially came up with the idea for The Beadside the week of the school’s closure. Tie Dye for a Good Cause, a small, student-run business, inspired Talwar and gave her an idea of what she wanted to do and how she could accomplish it, she said. 

After learning that one in five children in NYC rely on food pantries for their meals, Talwar knew that this was a cause to which she wanted to contribute. “With COVID-19 seeing such high rates of unemployment, I think it is really important for me to do something that could help people who need it most,” she said. 

“It’s a really fantastic way for both the seller and the buyer to feel as though they are contributing to something bigger than themselves while also personally benefiting, which is my idea of a perfect company,” Dalia Pustilnik (11) said.

Talwar won’t have as much free time during the school year, which may inhibit her from doing as much work on The Beadside. However, The Beadside is just the beginning of Talwar’s work in commerce. After going step by step through the process of creating a business herself, Talwar said that she  gained valuable insight into what it takes to establish a brand.

“I know that I want to have a career in business, so I thought that starting The Beadside would be an interesting jumping off point,” Talwar said. “In the future, I definitely want to take more classes in business and marketing, and this is my first step into the field.”