Student Fashion Profiles: Isabela Binnmyr

Jillian Lee, Contributing Writer

You may be able to spot Isabela Binnmyr (12) from across Alumni Field by her eclectic outfits, especially ones including her favorite color: green. While her style is continually evolving, Binnmyr’s fashion is always a representation of herself, she said.

Fashion has not always been a major aspect of Binnmyr’s life, as she has only started dressing in an expressive way this year. “When I was younger I tended to reject all things that were girly because I didn’t want to seem weak or feminine, because that was always considered a bad thing,” she said.

Now, Binnmyr no longer allows gender stereotypes to limit her style and loves to experiment with different looks. “Clothes just make me really happy,” she said.

She describes her ideal fashion style as “fairy grunge,” which often combines soft pastels with darker edgier elements, with slight influences from the ‘90s and other historical fashion trends, like corsets.

Binnmyr shops at many different stores with four points of criteria in her mind: fit, patterns, colors, and most importantly, the emotion the piece brings her. By

choosing pieces that resonate with her, fashion becomes a way to express herself, Binnmyr said. “I feel like it just helps people understand you a little bit better if you’re able to communicate who you are through your clothes.”

Other aspects of fashion intrigue Binnmyr as well. She enjoys reading about historical fashion trends and loves looking at corsets from the 19th century in particular, she said.

Binnmyr has also had the opportunity to try her hand at making clothes during quarantine. “It’s really stressful, but it ends up being really fun in the long run,” she said. Sewing clothes also allows Binnmyr to save costs, which is fulfilling, she said.

Binnmyr’s inspiration stems from Pinterest and Beabadoobee, a British singer known for her ‘90s grunge aesthetic, she said.

After browsing Pinterest to find a piece she likes, she replicates them at home with her sewing machine in her free time. Her current project is a prairie top based on a garment from the early 1900s, she said.

Fashion brings Binnmyr great joy and she plans to continue playing with her style in the future, she said.